Instructions - The Hip Carry
VIDEO: HOW TO HIP CARRY WITH THE ERGOBABY CARRIER
HIP CARRY STEPS
You may use this position as soon as baby has strong and consistent head and neck control. Do not use this position with babies under 12 lb or younger than 4 months.
- Buckle the waist strap with the carrier body hanging on your left hip. Loosen both shoulder straps leaving about 6 inches (15 cm) of extra webbing. Unbuckle both shoulder straps.
- Connect the buckle at the end of the padding upper shoulder strap in the front with the webbing strap from the back. Slide your head and left arm through the strap.
- Place your child in the center of the carrier, ensuring his/her legs are below all of the straps and his/her bottom is at the base of the carrier body.
- While holding your baby with your right arm, reach behind you with your left arm, grab the extra webbing, and tighten the shoulder strap so that it is comfortable and secure for you and your baby.
- Wrap the padded shoulder strap from the back around your waist and buckle it to the webbing from the front. Tighten the strap so that it is comfortable and secure for you and your baby.
- Ensure your baby is correctly positioned in the carrier with baby's bottom centered and low in the carrier. You should be able to kiss the top of your baby's head (and we recommend doing this often). The baby's position should be checked regularly to make sure that the baby is properly seated in the carrier, centered with legs extended and head upright and not slumping downward or to the side.
TO REMOVE YOUR CHILD FROM THE HIP CARRY POSITION
- Hold your child with your left arm and unbuckle the shoulder strap from the webbing that is at your waist.
- Remove your child from the carrier.
- Slide the other chest strap over your head and arm and unbuckle the waist strap. Never unbuckle the waist strap while your child is in the carrier.