Instructions - The Back Carry
VIDEO: HOW TO BACK CARRY WITH THE ERGOBABY CARRIER
BACK CARRY STEPS
You may use this position as soon as baby has strong and consistent head and neck control. Do not use this position with babies under 12 lb or younger than 4 months.
- Buckle the waist strap with the body of the carrier hanging between your right hip and your back. The waist strap should be slightly looser than normal to allow you to rotate the carrier towards your back once your baby is in the carrier.
- Place your baby on your right hip, centered over the body of the carrier. Hold your baby with your left hand and bring the carrier up and against the back of your baby with your right hand. Place your right hand on the outside of the carrier with your arm between the shoulder straps and hold your child with your right arm.
- While still holding your child with your right arm, lean forward slightly, reach back with your left arm and place your left arm through the left shoulder strap.
- While still holding your child with your right arm, use your left arm to reach across your body and put the right shoulder strap in the correct position, so your baby is secure in the carrier. Then place your right arm through the shoulder strap.
- Reach back with both hands and carefully rotate your carrier so that your child is centered on your back.
- Buckle the chest strap and adjust the chest strap to ensure the shoulder straps are securely positioned on both shoulders.
- Tighten the shoulder straps so that it is comfortable for you and your baby by pulling the webbing towards your baby. If you find yourself leaning forward, you may need to tighten the shoulder straps.
- The baby's position should be checked regularly to make sure that the baby is properly seated in the carrier. Baby should be centered with legs extended, head upright and not slumping downward or to the side. Ensure your baby is correctly positioned in the carrier with baby's bottom centered and low in the carrier with legs spread and posture upright. Your baby's legs and feet should be unencumbered and equally extended to your right and left side (and perfectly positioned for tickling).
TO REMOVE YOUR CHILD FROM THE BACK CARRY POSITION
- Lean forward and slightly and unbuckle the chest strap.
- Reach back with your right arm to securely hold your child (with your hand and arm on the outside of the carrier).
- Remove the left shoulder strap, rotate your child and the carrier body towards your right hip.
- Hold your child with your left arm (your left hand and arm should be on the inside of the carrier body) and remove the right shoulder strap.
- Remove your child from the carrier before unbuckling the waist strap. Never unbuckle the waist strap while your child is in the carrier.